http://www.theiwh.com/

Wednesday 13 November 2013

Traditional Knowledge helps Natural Growth


We in India have a rich tradition of living in harmony with nature. Ayurveda originated here.We use some or the other form of Ayurveda in our lives. We still rely on home remedies before taking any ailment to the medical practitioners.Grandmothers had their secret remedies that they passed on to the generations ahead. Then came in the English medicine just like every other thing and these remedies somehow found a backseat. After nearly 5 decades we are going back to the good old days embracing nature again. We have realised and seen the harmful effects of using synthetic and chemical products. We are going organic.... seeking organic products be in food, vegetables, cosmetics or another items of daily use. Natural remedies are not only healthy but also save a lot on the medical bill. They are safe and believe in, "Prevention is better than cure". They don't take the place of modern medicine but form an integral part of an individual's total wellbeing. No wonder day spas and wellness centres have found  people who swear by them.

Lets look at how these natural products and age old practises and remedies touch our lives. I shall put myself in the cycle and see what has worked and what hasn't for me. I was born pre mature in a remote village and at home could not be taken to the hospital immediately. My mother says that my grand father who had worked in the Army during the British time knew a lot about medical emergencies and knew exactly what to do. He built an incubator for me a basic model. It was a cane basket, coated with thick layer of cotton, it was extremely warm, wasn't an uphill task as month of May is quite pleasant in the Kumaon Hills, in Uttarakhand, North India.That was my crib and home for the next two months. Milk was given to me in drops using the dropper. Neem leaves were used to keep the insects and other germs away. I survived the three crucial months, so the remaining journey was easy. Till then there was no medicines given to me. 
Mom says grandma had a home remedy ready for every little thing. Be it doing the daily message (grandma had made a message oil using some herbs infused in mustard oil), cold, cough or indigestion. All was sorted with grandma's kitchen remedies and her magic wand that was unconditional love and loads of caring. Mom picked up a few of them and used on my siblings when we were growing up in a city and grandma was only letters and phone calls away. 
As a child and during my growing up years didn't really know what mom gave us but do remember a few of them. She would use eucalyptus oil if we had a blocked nose, she would roast some ajwain (carom seeds) , tie them in a cotton cloth, forming  a little bundle and warm the chest with it, that would clear the chest congestion. Honey and ginger for cough also was a regular feature, turmeric in milk was good antiseptic, lime juice was given for better immunity.
I embarked on the journey of motherhood and had to use some of those time tested remedies, Infact started using some of them soon after I learnt that I was carrying. If I had cough would take ginger and honey. Somehow my mother in law didn't approve of medicines especially in the first trimester. I was given a good nutritious diet consisting of whole cereals, greens and fruits with ample dairy products. Though I am not a person who loves milk and milk products I was told why they were necessary. Had to included food items rich in iron and calcium.
Also I was told to do the little household chores on my own apart from dedicating 20 minutes to daily exercise. In the last trimester, in the ninth month mom in law would give me milk with a little bit of ghee (clarified butter) and some turmeric in it. I didn't like it but never refused as it was her knowledge and she wanted to give things that she thought were best for me. I was a bit apprehensive  as gynaecologist do not recommend such fattening things in the diet.  I was also told to sweep the floor as the older ladies believed that it helped in the delivery process and it was a good exercise. I was active, fit and fine in the nine months journey but had to go in for an emergency c- section. My son was healthy and very active.

I was given the traditional diet consisting of panjiri, made from whole wheat flour fried in ghee and sugar.It also had saunth(dried ginger), gound (gum arabic), carom seeds, dry fruits like almonds. Eggs were also part of the diet and so was milk. I used to wonder looking at everything being so rich that I would never be able to shed the pounds.I breast fed my child for nearly 1.5 years. Exclusively for the first six months and later it was just in the morning and evenings as I joined back on work when he was six months old. I  had the guilt of eating such rich food laden with so many calories,  never kept a count of it though. The best part is all those pounds that found me managed to leave me in precisely 1.5 years after the delivery. So no complaints in fact when I looked back I absolutely loved what my mother in law gave me. After all it was her traditional wisdom! I religiously followed the diet and vaccination schedule recommended by the paediatrician for my baby too.

When he was a week old, was given  massage with oil before his bath, this routine continued till he was one and a half years old. He was a very active child. Got to learn from Mother in law that the message helps the baby by not only strengthening his muscles but also strengthen the attachment with the mother. The child stays relaxed, cries less and thus sleeps better. Massage improves blood circulation and the child is active reducing the number of times that he may fall ill. Skin to skin contact is anyway healthy and makes the child emotionally balanced and everlasting bond is created with the mother, the bond of trust and well-being. My husband and I also learnt the technique from my mother in law. We too started giving  massages to our son before his bath. It was a beautiful bonding time for the three of us and a ritual we all loved.
I  used more of home remedies on my child for the minor discomforts like cough, cold, upset stomach or being cranky. With the second one the routine was the same, as I believe that nature has all solutions and they are absolutely harmless. They may take a little longer to cure but what's the harm when you know that it is not going to have any side effect . Teach the child to eat healthy but do treat them once in a while with the so called 'junk food' as what they are deprived of can become their weakness later on in life. I believe in children being told about everything good, not so good and ugly and allow them to make the choice. You are there to help them do that. That's what parenting is all about isn't it?

Some rules that a mother needs to follow while bringing up her little ones, In fact every mother has her own set of secrets that she swears by. For instance in case of fever, don't start medicines immediately. My children's paediatrician Dr. Gaikwad, the best doctor I know; always tells parents not to rush their children to the doctor. Don't give any medicines till the fever is 100 or more. Give some time, chances are it'll subside, if not then consult the doctor. But monitoring it is important.
My theory for cure of  any illness in children is that just be with them, hold them close and let them know that you are there so nothing will go wrong. This assurance in children somehow makes them jump to good health. If you are a working mother take off for a day or two, the child will be perfectly fine. Give them a healthy diet and feed them at regular intervals. As the old saying goes feeding the fever helps but never force the child to eat. Every child is different and requires different ways of dealing with  specially when they are unwell. With all the time you spend with your child and the magic of your hugs will nurse them to good health.


This post is written for IndiBlogger Dabur Lal Tail

Pic 1 and 2 taken from google




2 comments:

  1. Very practical and sincere and well-written too. All the best!

    My entry for the contest www.indiblogger.in/indipost.php?post=296460. Hope you enjoy it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Dr. Kindo

      Reading your post too :) well written!

      Delete