http://www.theiwh.com/

Tuesday 28 August 2012

The hair cut agony



Hair today gone tomorrow! It isn’t that easy. Hair tales of my kids have been quite a nightmare for me. The elder one Arnnav was born with a nice mane, I simply loved his curly hair. The moment he became an year old his hair started touching his collar, he still looked cool, Sometimes I would tie his hair up into tiny pony tails and loved the way my baby looked…..Absolutely cute and adorable. Then was the time to give him a good haircut, in our culture the first haircut is a ‘mundan’ where the baby’s head is completely shaved off. The ceremony is a feast for everyone whereas the little child keeps crying buckets full. It’s such a heart breaking moment for the mother. Holding my son I cried too when I saw all his curly hair falling on to the cloth wrapped around him. Somehow both of us managed to get through the ceremony. Everyone congratulated me and my baby on reaching the new milestone.

The next few months saw the hair growing. Just after 3 months it was time to give Arnnav another haircut. Since hubby sails and is out at work for nearly 3-4 months I had to take him to the barber. I contemplated with the idea of visiting the barber shop on a Sunday morning. I dropped the idea, decided on the beauty parlour instead where I’d be comfortable and guessed that it wouldn’t be an issue for Arnnav as well. I took him to the neighbourhood parlour, the lady was very friendly with a warm smile. Arnnav was at ease but the moment, I made him sit on the chair for the haircut, he started screaming. We both couldn’t handle him and I had to take him back without a haircut. Another week passed by I took him to my parents home which is quite close to my residence. Dad and I took Arnnav to the barber shop this time. No matter what he wouldn’t let anyone touch his hair. The barber managed a few trims but the boy cried so much that he started to puke. Dad said nothing doing he’d try to level his hair at home. We got Arnnav home, gave him his favourite ice cream and a pastry. He had it and when he fell asleep I made him lie on my lap and dad trimmed his hair. His haircut was really uneven and funny but it was okay as he didn’t understand haircuts much, at one and a half years this was acceptable.

Then Dad bought a Philips electric shaver that had attachments for trimming hair. We gave him haircuts with this machine while he slept on my lap and dad playing the not so perfect barber. This went on for more than a year and dad becoming better with every haircut he did.  We tried taking him to different  barber shops  every time he needed a haircut  but somehow never managed any success. I knew almost all barber shop’s / salon in my area. It gave me a peak into the domain where women hardly ventured. Found it rather funny seeing men sitting with face masks on but yeah everyone has a right to feel and look good.

It gave me a true sense of liberation when Arnnav had a haircut at the local barber shop without any drama. I gave a good tip to the barber and a treat to my boy. It settled after 2 years of nightmare.
Just when Arnnav learnt to handle the barber my younger one Abhinav embarked on the same path as his elder brother. Infact It was longer with him as he had his mundan when he was just 3 months old. This Sunday Abhinav had a haircut at the barber shop and I am on a celebratory mood.
It’s such a great feeling to have bid farewell to the haircut agony!

6 comments:

  1. Your post reminded me of my first haircut (that I can remember). I can tell you it was such a problem because the razor kept tickling me behind the ears and the neck. I couldn't stand even the scissors in those areas....

    Anyway, Congratulations on your sons' coming of age.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi!

      Thanks for your comment, I can understand the agony that little children, rather little boys go through.

      Regards,
      Laxmi.

      Delete
  2. very interesting account . . and i like the fact you have two baby boys . . nice names they have too . . :)

    regards
    maliny

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Maliny,

      Thank you so much for your feedback. and ofcourse for liking the names that we as parents gave to our kids.

      Regards,
      Laxmi

      Delete
  3. I guess these things are a 'hair-raising' experience :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah they are but now I am done with my share of the 'experiences' I am glad to say the least.

    ReplyDelete